Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Part 2 of My Interview with ellasport's Corinne Ellison of the UK!

 Here is part two of my interview with Corinne as she tells us about her very first run after surgery and what keeps her positive and driving forward!

5.  When was your first run after surgery? How was it - scary, exciting, etc.?

At 8 weeks, doctors and physios told me it was ok to break into a jog. That's exactly what I did, precisely on my 8 week date. Before then, I had been attending cardiac rehabilitation classes with patients aging up to 80! I ran on a treadmill with people in the next room so I felt safe. There was no fear, just excitement as I began to experience the familiar rush of endorphins. That was it, I was off! I had to be careful to take it steady and had a run/walk strategy for much of my first few runs. 

6.  Tell us about your goal of Ironman and the races on your schedule to get you there!

The challenge of Ironman has been lurking away in the back of my mind for the last few years. I found it fascinating watching footage of competitors striving to complete on of the toughest physical races. The sheer determination involved both in training for the event and during the race itself appeals to me as it tests your mental strength to the max. Even as a novice triathlete and before I knew about my heart condition, I had planned to complete an Ironman in 2012. After my experience, I couldn't be more motivated to achieve this goal. I have a summer of olympic distance triathlons planned and a half Ironman in September. Next year will be almost a full year training for an Ironman in the US - hopefully Florida in November 2012. Incidentially - this will be the month I turn 30!

7.  Compare your fitness level and activities before surgery and where you are today.

Before I knew about my heart condition, I was training regularly (up to 10 hours a week) but didn't seem to be improving. It appears that was a reason and on finding this out, I was very grateful! After my surgery, I seem to have a new energy and certainly don't lack enthusiasm to try to push the boundaries! I no longer have any shortness of breath or feelings of pressure in my chest. I have noticed a big improvement in my running times already and am so excited to see what I am capable of this year. 

8.  What has been the toughest part of recovery or of this whole situation?  And the best?

I would have to say the toughest part of the situation as a whole was the wait for the surgery. This felt like torture and left me mentally exhausted. The worst part of recovery is frustration at wanting to get back to normal physically.  I have taken many steps backwards and acknowledging that the body take a long time to heal after major surgery has been difficult at times. The best outcome has certainly been the overwhelming positive response to my blog posts recording my journey week by week. This includes messages from others going through a similar experience with heart surgery - I'm so privileged to have been able to share my experience and help others with theirs. 

9.  How do you remain positive and what drives you forward?

Keeping things in perspective has been an important aspect of my emotional recovery through the whole experience. Looking to the future allowed me to deal with what was happening in the present. I didn't allow myself to feel sorry for myself, only focusing on how lucky I was to have had my condition picked up and resolved. Having a written list of goals with attached timeframes helps drive me forward and take the necessary steps to succeeding.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment